Venezuelan conga legend Williams Cumberbatch will headline at a music and arts event at 'Grow' in Hackney on 17, 18 & 19 October)
The weekend which also includes the virtuoso Gerardo de Armas Sarria's 'Rumbache Cuba' will showcase musicians and artists from Latin America, Europe and Africa to bring people together during Black History Month to celebrate this cultural mix that was set in the motion when Christopher Columbus first set foot in the New World in October 1492.
Over three days and nights, a host of performers from around the world will share their skills, knowledge, energy and passion for their art form. There will also be workshops, documentaries, food, drink, arts and crafts for sale, a Yoruba art exhibition by Ade Sose Wallace throughout the weekend and DJ's on until 2am on Friday and Saturday and 10pm on Sunday.
• Williams Cumberbatch and his Latin-ish band Tumbaito
• Simo Lagnawi - Gnawa master from Morocco
• Seddik Zebiri - an Algerian Berber mandolin virtuoso
• Peruvian Andean flutist - Kanti Qena
• Italian tarantella up tempo mash up band – Colomboloco
• One of Latin music’s foremost percussionists - Dave Pattman
• Legendary Gerardo de Armas Sarria's 'Rumbache Cuba' (ex-Yoruba Andabo)
• African drummer and violinist, Ade Sose Wallace
• Kudjovi Kush from Togo - master bass player and leader of Afro Spot All Stars
• UK and Brazilian capoeira masters, including Mestre Mannineiro and Simon 'Fantasme'
• DJ Callum Simpson (UK) - Movimientos sound system
• DJ Koichi Sakai (Japan) - Getto Launch sound system
• DJ Junior Bahia (Brazil) - Salvador sound system
This weekend promises to be a celebration of positive vibrations and a sharing of cultures to leave you feeling energised, inspired and wanting more!
Friday 17 October
FREE entry 7- 9pm £5 on the door after 9pm
Saturday 18 October
This Is How We Do It: in Collaboration with Grow, present La Radio
£5 on the door from 6-8pm / £7 on the door from 8pm onwards
Sunday 19 October / 1pm-10pm
Domingo De La Rhumba Cubana meets African Jam Session
FREE before 3pm / £5 on the door after 3pm.
Getting to Grow is easy. Located in Main Yard in Hackney Wick, a short walk from Hackney Wick Overground Station and located on the other side of canal from the Olympics Copper Box Arena in Stratford.
This listing has no reviews yet.